WHDH's Early Days Online


This isn't a physical attraction, but if you're into TV news at all (like I am), you might be interested to see an early version of WHDH-TV's website, still being hosted in its near entirety at boston.com (how exactly it ended up there I'm not fully aware).

Clicking here will send you to the site, which seems extremely antiquated and basic for a news site now, which feature live streaming video and interactive elements. Poking around, you'll find Sports scores frozen in 1996, as well as different featured reports. Of note is the lack of actual news on the site, perhaps due to difficulty in frequent updates, but I'd be curious to find out the real answer to this.

My personal favorite page on this site is the news team biographies. The staff at the station in 1996 are up to a variety of things today, from remaining at the station to moving on to national news networks and anchoring various news programs. Some of the names I can't remember, but others like Lester Strong and Cristine Caswell recall a past era in Boston journalism.

Also of note: the link to TIAC in the bottom right corner sends you to EarthLink, another sign of the times!

Check it out, and enjoy!

Posted byMike Prescott at 11:56 PM  

3 comments:

Unknown said... Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM EST  

Sadly... I'm into the whole TV news thing... Interesting to see what I call "the good ole' days" of 7News... It's gotten so cold and lacks personality... When Todd Gross was let go, I was basically finished with them...

Mike Prescott said... Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 10:23:00 PM EST  

I still watch 7 occasionally, but now prefer WBZ and sometimes WCVB for my news. 7's takeover and closing of WLVI was my 'last straw' with them.

Anonymous said... Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 9:14:00 AM EST  

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Post a Comment

Support LIB - Shop Amazon Through Our Links

Layout By Blogcrowds